Dr. Shoeb Sitafalwalla on The Future of Healthcare
On this episode of The Scope, we’re joined by Dr. Shoeb Sitafalwalla. Dr. Sitafalwalla is a Board-certified cardiologist and the Chief Strategy Officer of Advocate Aurora Health. He currently serves on the Advisory Board for MATTER, a non-profit health incubator located in Chicago. Prior to his Chief Strategy Officer role, he was the Chief Medical Officer at Good Shepard Hospital. He also served on the Quality Improvement and Clinical Integration Committee for Advocate Physician Partners, one of the country’s oldest and most successful value-based initiatives.
Even with his impressive resume and overflowing work plate, he finds a lot of time to give back. Dr. Sitafalwalla is the founder of the South Asian Cardiovascular Center, a novel cardiac center to provide culturally competent clinical care to an at-risk population, develop research capacity, and improve community outreach.
We discuss the future of healthcare, the challenges the industry is facing, how Advocate Aurora is overcoming these and differentiating itself from other systems, and the role of a Chief Strategy Officer and how it connects to value-based care.
Highlights from our episode with Dr. Shoeb Sitafalwalla include:
- How Dr. Sitafalwalla ended up in his current role, including key milestones and what led him to take on executive positions in addition to patient care.
- Dr. Sitafalwalla’s driving motivation and passion behind each of these roles.
- How Dr. Sitafalwalla’s entrepreneurial spirit influences his leadership at the South Asian Cardiovascular Center and how that spirit helps him with establishing best practices.
- What a Chief Strategy Officer role looks like within a large, prominent health system, and what goals and projects are at the top of Dr. Sitafalwalla’s list.
- What the most significant challenges are currently within the healthcare industry.
- Dr. Sitafalwalla outlines what it looks like to strategically plan and predict healthcare’s future.
- How hospital systems, physicians, and even patients look at the industry’s future.
- The definition of “value-based care” according to Dr. Sitafalwalla and his thoughts on if it will be the solution the community hopes it will be.
- Identifying necessary leaders who will help overcome some of the industry’s most substantial challenges
To follow along with Dr. Shoeb Sitafalwalla and what he’s doing at Advocate Aurora Health, follow him on LinkedIn.
If you enjoyed this episode, you can find all of our past episodes of The Scope’s podcast here.
The Scope Podcast
Chris O’Connell on Transforming Healthcare through Innovation
On this episode of The Scope, we’re talking with Chris O’Connell. Chris is a Senior Advisor at New Mountain Capital and the Executive Chairman at Covaris, a leader in advanced biomolecule extraction technology. Because of Chris’s direct experience with the changing healthcare landscape, he remains passionate about innovation in healthcare to enable patients to get...
The Scope Podcast
Roy Bejarano on the Future of Healthcare and Emerging Value-Based Care Models
On this episode of The Scope, we are talking with Roy Bejarano. Roy is the Co-Founder and CEO of SCALE Healthcare, a healthcare consulting group that focuses on optimizing management teams for growth and sustainability. In this role, Roy is particularly focused on Management Service Organizations (MSO) and practice level operations as well as broad...
The Scope Podcast
Scott Becker on the Need for Education and Connection in Healthcare Leadership
On this episode of The Scope we welcome Scott Becker. Scott is the founder and publisher of Becker’s Healthcare and Becker’s Hospital Review. He also produces the Becker Group Business News, the Becker Private Equity Podcast, and the Becker Business Podcast. Mr. Becker previously served on the McGuireWoods LLP Board of Partners and served for...