David Carmouche, EVP of Value-Based Care, on How to Get the Industry on Board
Today we welcome, Dr. David Carmouche, Ochsner Health’s Executive VP of Value-based Care and Network Operations and the President of Ochsner Health Network. Honestly, David Carmouche had me at LinkedIn because this visionary leader who is at the head table in value-based care conversations has done so much, I could spend the entire podcast rattling off his impressive credentials. He is currently the #1 listened-to podcast guest on Becker’s Healthcare podcast which is 1700+ strong.
I couldn’t invent a better guest for The Scope and a roll-up your sleeves, honest chat about value-based care. David is a physician leader with rare experience serving in multiple, complex environments as a doctor formerly leading a preventive cardiology practice, a former Chief Medical Officer and EVP of External Operations at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois and now a leader in a large, integrated healthcare system – Ochsner Health in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. A graduate of Tulane University, LSU medical school, and internships, and ultimately Chief Resident at the University of Alabama Birmingham, he brings one of the rarest toolkits of experiences from all sides of the values-based care perspective.
We’re about to get into David’s expertise in designing and delivering alternative value-based healthcare payment models to impact large populations, where others have struggled. He’s a transformational change agent, a leading national advocate/spokesperson for the ACO model, and has walked the talk, building ecosystems to control healthcare costs.
On today’s episode we discuss:
- Why Dr. Carmouche’s title as Executive Vice President of Value-Based Care indicates the investment Ochsner is making in VBC and what the core objectives and responsibilities of his role within the system are.
- How organizations can go all-in with value-based care by holding themselves accountable and why organizations need to have a belief that there’s as much a financial interest in value as there is in their historical business.
- How Dr. Carmouche sees the patient fitting into the value-based care equation and how they communicate that to patients.
- What other challenges lie ahead for physicians, patients, and systems.
- Lastly, we discuss the Value Summit that Ochsner and Dr. Carmouche host each year which brings leaders from the payer, provider, and employer sectors together. There they talk about the more controversial pieces of VBC and how to come together on these topics.
To view the speaker list and register for the virtual event held October 29, 2021, visit: https://valuesummit.org/