Dave Schreiner on the Future of Value-Based Care
On today’s episode of The Scope, we welcome Dave Schreiner, the president and CEO of Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital (KSB) in Dixon, IL. KSB is an independent, non-profit hospital serving a rural population and I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know Dave over the past decade and watch him innovate in areas that are harbingers of the future of healthcare.
Dave was governor of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE) from 2016-2018 and always embracing the growth mindset, Dave is nearing completion of a PhD in values-based leadership at Benedictine College and has been an adjunct professor at the University of St. Francis where he teaches graduate-level healthcare administrators.
On today’s episode, we talked about the future of value-based care and the inherent challenges and opportunities of being independent and innovative in healthcare.
- The biggest challenges and opportunities of running a rural, independent non-profit from 1989 through today.
- Implementing an interesting hub-and-spoke hospital model in a rural community, the philosophy behind it, and how his staff has responded
- The lessons he learned during about leading and communicating during the pandemic, and why he chose to speak authentically and honestly with his staff.
- Dave’s doctoral education in value-based care and how this program has changed his perspective. He talks to us about how he’s put values-based leadership into action, especially regarding his “appreciative inquiry” approach which he says has been a life changing concept for him.
- How this industry feels like it has to be forced to change, especially when it comes to value-based care. We talk about how it took a pandemic to move the industry to utilize telehealth which has since become a loved innovation by the public.
- Dave discusses the communications strategy best practices he’s gleaned from his dissertation interviews.
I invite you to follow Dave on Twitter and LinkedIn to hear more of his insights on this industry.
For more episodes of The Scope, follow along on Twitter at @TheScope_MA and on LinkedIn here. If you’d like to hear from any guests, send your ideas my way – you can message me on LinkedIn.
The Scope Podcast
Mark Gridley on Differentiating Patient Care
On this episode of The Scope, we are joined by Mark Gridley. Mark has over thirty years of healthcare experience, including being an Administrator and Market Executive with Aurora Medical Group before moving on to FHN Memorial Hospital where he was the Vice President of Physician Affairs and then Chief Operating Officer. He is currently...
The Scope Podcast
Chris O’Connell on Transforming Healthcare through Innovation
On this episode of The Scope, we’re talking with Chris O’Connell. Chris is a Senior Advisor at New Mountain Capital and the Executive Chairman at Covaris, a leader in advanced biomolecule extraction technology. Because of Chris’s direct experience with the changing healthcare landscape, he remains passionate about innovation in healthcare to enable patients to get...
The Scope Podcast
Roy Bejarano on the Future of Healthcare and Emerging Value-Based Care Models
On this episode of The Scope, we are talking with Roy Bejarano. Roy is the Co-Founder and CEO of SCALE Healthcare, a healthcare consulting group that focuses on optimizing management teams for growth and sustainability. In this role, Roy is particularly focused on Management Service Organizations (MSO) and practice level operations as well as broad...